Hoglets craft: make a flapping butterfly puppet
Here’s how to do it at home.
- A sheet of A4 cardboard
- 2 straws
- Felt -tip pens / crayons / coloured pencils
- A pair of scissors
- A glue stick
- Some sellotape
How to make your butterfly puppet
1.Cut your piece of cardboard in half and then take one of the halves and then fold it in half.
2. Draw a rectangle onto the fold of your card and then draw just one butterfly wing, now cut this shape out and then unfold to reveal a butterfly with a very thick body. Fold both or your wings back and pinch the middle together.
3. Now draw your own design onto the wings and then colour your design in. Cover the pinched centre of your butterfly in glue and then stick it together.
4. Take one of your straws and cut a slit into the top of it. Sellotape one side of the slit to each side of the bottom of your butterfly. Then take the second straw and cut an even longer slit into the top of it. Slide the second straw up over the straw stuck to your butterfly and using sellotape stick each side of the slit onto both the butterfly’s wings.
5. Now hold the bottom of the bottom straw and gently push the second straw up and down and there you go, your very own flapping Butterfly puppet.
Mama Hoglet. X