Hoglets Craft: Make a doggy puppethttps://hoglets.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/craft-doggy-puppet-hero-1024x576.jpg 1024 576 Hoglets Theatre Hoglets Theatre https://hoglets.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/craft-doggy-puppet-hero-1024x576.jpg
Hello and welcome to this week’s craft – and it’s a big one this week – make your very own doggy puppet – just like the dog in ODD DOG OUT!
Here’s how to do it at home.
You will need:
- 2 Toilet Rolls
- 2 Different Coloured paints
- 2 lollipop sticks (but if you don’t have these twigs from your garden will do)
- Some String
- A pit of Scissors
- A Hole Punch
- Some Strong Glue
- 2 Pipe cleaners (but if you don’t have these you can use some string and a button/ weight for the legs)
- 2 Googly Eyes
- And a Small Pom Pom (or a balled-up piece of coloured paper)
How to make your Odd Dog Puppet
- Firstly take your 2 toilets rolls, cut one of them in half. Paint your full toilet roll and one of the halves one colour, these will make the dogs head and body and the other half a different colour, this will make the dogs ears. Leave them on the window sill until completely dry.
- Once dry, take the hole punch and punch two holes in the head roll, one on the top and one on the bottom for the dog’s neck and then put it to one side. Then take the body section, decide which side the top and which is the bottom. On the top punch one hole at one end for the neck and one at the opposite end for the tail. Turn the body over and punch two holes on one end and two on the other for the legs.
- Cut one of the pipe cleaners in half and thread them through the leg holes. bend them downwards to make legs and then turn the bottom of the pipe cleaners as feet.
If you don’t have pipe cleaners you can use two lengths of string as the legs. Do exactly the same with string as you would with pipe cleaners, but you will need to fix a weight to the bottom of each leg to keep them in place. Try a button, a penny or a small pebble from the garden.
- Now using the other half of toilet roll you painted a different colour and put to one side make some ears. Taking your scissors cut this half into a shape which resembles 2 leaves stuck together. Glue this to the top of the dogs head, then add the two googly eyes, one on each side and then glue the Pom Pom on as the nose.
- Take your lollipop sticks/twigs and using your strong glue stick them together into a cross shape. This forms your puppets controller, put it to one side for the glue to dry.
- Take two long lengths of string and tie a knot at one end of each length. Take one of the pieces of string and thread it through the tail hole you punched in the dog’s body. Take the other piece of string and thread it through the other hole on the body, then thread this same string through the two holes you punched in the head.
- Once the glue on the controller has dried, tie the two ends of string onto one of the arms of the controller and voila you have yourself your very own Odd Dog to play with.
I’d love to see your little pups once you’ve brought them to life.
- Posted In: